You are here
Assistant Controller with CPA
- Temp-perm opportunity
- Established and well known Non-profit Philatrophy in midtown Manhattan
About Our Client
Nonprofit organization that currently advises on and manages more than $200 million in annual giving by individuals, families, corporations and major foundations.
The Assistant Controller is a hands-on manager responsible for the final review of all accounting transactions before posting to the general ledger. The individual needs to be very detail oriented, enjoy operational accounting, and a strong problem solver. We seek a person that enjoys "doing" and "managing" with a strong aptitude for both learning and teaching.
Partnering with the CFO, the Assistant Controller designs, implements and manages internal controls and financial policies and procedures. The Assistant Controller serves as a resource to the organization on finance and accounting content knowledge and best practices and provides financial education to the finance team and the broader organization.
The Assistant Controller provides leadership to the finance team and with the CFO provides guidance, professional development and supervision to the accounting team. This role is responsible for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial reports including internal and external monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP. Manages and maintains a strict deadline to close the financial activities of the month, including the preparation and analysis of the monthly balance sheet and statement of activities. Reviews monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliation of all accounts.
The role oversees revenue accounting, accounts payable, investment allocations and fee assessments. The Assistant Controller manages the external audit and prepares the audited financials and annual 990 filing, gathering information and preparing the detailed audit worksheet analysis for year-end audit.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for regulatory compliance and deadlines associated with 1099 production, A-133 audits and the production of the 990 tax return.
The Successful Applicant
Education: BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting; CPA required.
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant management in non-profit accounting
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and internal controls
- Demonstrated experience with nonprofit operations, including accounts payable and account reconciliation
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness, with strong work ethic
- Ability to manage numerous project simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Commitment to hiring, managing and developing a diverse team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with experience presenting to senior management and board
- Proactive, hands on manager that can manage intricate details with strategic purpose
- Strong customer service mentality, with a commitment to being responsive, courteous and thorough
- Advanced Excel skills, with proficiency in all Office products
- Familiarity with grantmaking, charitable funds or fiscal sponsorship preferred
What's on Offer
Temp-perm opportunity and attractive hourly rate. Growth opportunities, and well known organization.