You are here
AVP Assistant Controller
Seeking an Assitant Controller
CPA and/or Public Accounting preffered
About Our Client
Our client is a $250M Non-Profit Social Service organization. Our client assists New Yorker's with Mental Health Care, Career Placement, Children and Youth Programs, and Homecare Services. This organization has grown tremendously over the past 5 years and is looking to invest in their Accounting department to continue to foster their rapid growth.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for:
- Responsible for the internal reporting of our client and its consolidated entities. Develop an understanding of the chart of accounts and coding structure, account balances, financial statements and footnotes.
- Prepare quarterly and annual internal and external financial statements for each entity and consolidated statements. Develop the underlying analyses for such financial statements for review by the Controller, Deputy CFO and CFO prior to issuance.
- Demonstrate strong not-for-profit and other U.S. GAAP accounting knowledge and experience to apply in the preparation of quarterly financial statements. Must be able to prepare or review journal entries and complex underlying supporting schedules and documents with ability to explain such analysis to nonfinancial staff. Prepare complex analyses and reconciliations and provide written guidance to divisions and finance staff regarding technical accounting questions.
- Prepare all journal entries to record all investments, split interest agreements and beneficial interest in perpetual trust transactions in accordance with U. S. GAAP and maintain all related accounting records. Work on determining spending formula amounts.
- Responsible for preparation and presentation of analysis and materials for Investment Subcommittee meetings including agenda, minutes, and investment analysis and ensure that the funds are being invested in accordance with decisions made by the Investment Subcommittee.
- Responsible for preparation of endowment funds analyses including certain endowment funds' financial statements and underwater analyses. Maintain all permanently restricted files and properly record corpus and any activity.
- Review charitable gift annuity state filings and Split-Interest Trust information returns.
- Assist the Controller in managing the day-to-day accounting functions, tools and resources to ensure timely, accurate and complete financial information for management, divisions and the organization boards. Experience in leading staff through change management. Provide leadership, direction and supervision to staff.
- Conducts a monthly/quarterly review, analysis and reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including detailed analyses of balance sheet, revenue and expense accounts to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Assist the Controller in planning year-end closing, journal entries and gathering the data necessary to ensure an accurate and timely year-end audit. Serve as point of contact for all audit schedules; maintaining master file of all schedules; responding to auditor's requests for information and inquiries; and preparing the audited financial statements and notes.
- Assist the Controller in developing, overseeing internal controls and development, implementation and communication of new financial policies and procedures.
- Ensures that accounting controls and financial policies and procedures are consistent with U. S. GAAP, and our client's goals and objectives.
- Prepare 401K financial statements and footnotes for our client's annual audit. Reconcile our client's 401K plan on an annual basis to ensure proper contributions. Assist affiliates, when necessary, with their 401 K audits. Serve as a liaison between our client and auditors for the 401K audits of our client and their affiliates.
- Review individual 40 I K contributions on a bi-weekly basis.
- Assist as needed in the preparation of Forms 990.
- Perform a review of bi-weekly payroll data changes to ensure accuracy before final processing of payroll.
- Serve as a backup in authorizing and reviewing all activities of the 501(c)(4) and 527 entities, including reconciliation and review of the reports due to the Federal Election Commission and to the IRS. Serve as a backup in reviewing in-house deposits and approving journal entries relating to it.
- Serve as a backup in the preparation of external filings and/or various surveys as required by government agencies and other entities.
- Serve as a backup in reviewing of accounts payable function activities and serve as backup to the Controller in reviewing journal entries. * Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
The Successful Applicant
The Assistant Controller will have the following attributes:
- Public Accounting Experience
- Accounting Manager or Assistant Controller experience with a large and complex non-profit organization
- Experience with the A-133 Audit
- Experience preparing form 990
- Exposure to City, State, and Federal Grants and Contracts
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Great communication
What's on Offer
Commensurate with experience