You are here
- Seeking a CPA Controller
- Healthcare background
About Our Client
Our client is a growing MLTC/FIDA Health Plan with a Home Care business in multiple states.
- Department and Staff Management
- Establish departmental goals and objectives that are consistent with, and lead to the successful achievement of, divisional and corporate goals and objectives. Achieve departmental goals and objectives by providing effective leadership, management, strategic direction, and budget and business planning.
- Manage Finance and Accounting staff with responsibility for all aspects of daily accounting operations and the related formulation and administration of our client's overall accounting policies.
- Design, develop, implement and document accounting and finance processes that support and enhance operations and external reporting requirements.
- Continually assess the effectiveness of departmental functioning, including the people, processes and technologies needed to achieve departmental and corporate goals and objectives. Identify problems and opportunities for improvement, and generate creative solutions that improve qualitative and quantitative performance.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, motivate, manage, and lead staff to perform successfully.
- Assure staff accountability through routine observation, reporting and performance measurement, and through timely, thorough preparation of performance appraisals for assigned staff.
- Take appropriate action on employee issues related to job performance and professional conduct, with assistance from and in collaboration with the Human Resources department.
- Accounting and Finance Systems and financial reporting
- Establish and direct organization-wide accounting policy in support of effective financial management.
- Monitor effectiveness of controls to prevent circumvention of established systems.
- Manage preparation of technical analysis by Finance and Accounting staff in response to inquiries regarding proper accounting treatment of items.
- Provide guidance to other departments and staff in the set-up of new revenue/expense items and proper treatment to assure compliance and adequacy of controls with current regulations.
- Establish, implement and manage effective and efficient processes for the timely preparation of the annual budget. Manage processes for appropriate budgetary controls and reporting.
- Manage financial reporting activities to ensure timely processing of month end closings, accuracy and timeliness of data reported and timeliness and accuracy of reconciliations performed by accounting staff.
- Coordinate monthly financial reporting package, including MD&A.
- Manage the processes for the preparation of our client's annual financial statements to ensure timely, accurate, complete and compliant financial statements.
- Coordinate all aspects of annual audits, including pension audits, cost report audits, etc.
- Manage the processes for compilation and submission of various reports to regulatory agencies, such as CMS cost reports, NYS Medicaid cost reports, MMCORs, etc.
- Oversight of monthly IBNR calculations for Insurance division.
- Compliance with regulatory requirements and professional standards
- Provide technical expertise with regard to GAAP and FASB regulations to senior management, department heads and third parties.
- Recommend or implement modifications to organizational reporting and/or accounting practices, as necessary to comply with reporting requirements.
- Confer with appropriate individuals to assure proper interpretation of reporting and/or accounting requirements/standards.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable governmental regulations, professional standards and organizational policies.
- Evaluate and communicate major changes in regulations affecting accounting requirements to appropriate staff.
- Represent the company to external organizations, including but not limited to, government agencies, external auditors, trade associations, providers and vendors in a manner that maintains the integrity and enhances the reputation of the company.
- Demonstrate proficiency with the principles and methodologies of process improvement. Apply these in the execution of responsibilities in support of a process focused approach.
- Perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
The Successful Applicant
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or equivalent knowledge, CPA/MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in managing an Accounting/Finance function, preferably including a managed care setting and/or Healthcare. Demonstrated success in managing and developing staff.
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP.
- Experience in financial reporting, forecasting, modeling and analysis, and cash flow management with a strong operational focus.
- Proficiency with general office software including Excel and Word and knowledge of computerized accounting and reporting systems.
- Strong, technically sophisticated knowledge of finance, audit and reporting methodologies.
- Advanced interpersonal, negotiating and management skills required to manage critical internal and external relationships and activities that are diverse and complex.
- Excellent organization skills as demonstrated by the ability to manage the simultaneous completion of multiple projects.
- Highly developed quantitative and qualitative analytical skills required to understand business processes and functions, compile and interpret appropriate data, and identify and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and writing skills characterized by the ability to communicate thoroughly and clearly to a range of reading and comprehension skill levels.
- Highly developed project management skills required to identify business and process needs, and integrate complex functions and/or highly diverse components of organizational units in support of overall operations.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate goals, plan and implement processes to achieve those goals, recognize and assess the implications of confounding variables, and meet deadlines.
- Thorough experience in evaluating, developing, and implementing operating procedures and systems affecting the business environment, with the decision making authority to make changes.
What's on Offer
Commensurate with experience.