You are here
Major Law Firm is seeking a seasoned Controller
Public Accounting and CPA REQUIRED
About Our Client
Our client is an international law firm headquartered in New York City. The firm was founded in the 1800s and currently has over 10 offices worldwide. This firm is known for their high level of professionalism and prestigious clientele. This firm has revenues close to $1B with over 650 attorneys globally.
The Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the operations of the accounting and accounts payable departments, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the departments' goals and objectives.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate staff. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with Firm policy.
- Help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to help staff maximize potential and reach individual and firm goals.
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities around accounts payable, cash disbursements, fixed assets, and general ledger accounting and develop metrics to report on these activities against benchmarks.
- Oversee the monthly and annual general ledger accounting close process, managing to a central global timetable, and validate accuracy of the results.
- Identify and research technical accounting issues, provide leadership to management and the team around new standards, ensuring that at all times global reporting is in compliance.
- Manage relationships with outside audit firms, casualty/liability insurance agents and other providers as appropriate.
- Lead change management activities by suggesting, supporting and driving through changes to financial systems, structures, and control environment.
- Work with Financial Planning & Analysis Team to ensure coding of expenses are correctly and consistently applied and appropriately authorized.
- Coordinate year‐end audit with external auditors around the globe and manage the preparation of audit schedules, data, information and financial statements.
- Collaborate across the Finance department with other Finance Managers to increase efficiency in financial processes that cross departmental lines.
- Work with Financial Systems to ensure accounting and financial systems for department have robust controls, are compliant with regulations, up to date and best in breed taking when into consideration current business needs.
- As the business application owner for financial and accounting systems, serve as project manager for any system upgrades or implementation projects, assigning resources when needed and developing project plans
- Develop, regularly update and monitor staff's adherence to the Firm's Global Finance Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Work collaboratively with Purchasing Department to develop robust policies and procedures around supplier on boarding and validation.
- Support Purchasing Department by improving operational and process efficiency around accounts payable function, such as implementing paperless payables.
- Work with Tax Department to prepare any necessary schedules or supporting documentation for corporate or VAT related tax filings.
- Respond to internal and external auditors' comments concerning finance's operations and oversee required action to address deficiencies.
- Develop a training plan that ensures new AP staff and new business approvers are appropriately trained with regards to expense coding.
- Evaluate current Fixed Asset Ledger software, to see if meets current business needs, work with to Finance System to either make improvements or search for a replacement.
- Provides status of financial condition of the firm, when requested, by collecting, interpreting and reporting key financial data.
- Monitor and enforce the Firm's Global Travel & Expenses Policy.
The Successful Applicant
The succeful candidate will have the following attributed and expereinces:
- CPA or ACA required.
- Public Accounting experience required
- Minimum 12+ years related experience
- Knowledge in managing a global finance function
- 3-5 years in a managerial position at a professional services firm with preference given to Law Firm candidates
- Experience in Elite 3E or Aderant is a plus.
- Ability to implement an effective control environment across multiple locations.
- Ability to adjust to new, different, or changing requirements while conveying a sense of urgency and drive issues to closure and a relentless commitment to win.
- Must be a working manager, capable of operating in a fast-paced environment, able to handle pressure well, be self-motivated and detail oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute strategically by identifying and implementing business process improvements.
- Strong planning, project management and organizational skills with an attention to detail.
- Leadership experience, with strong inter-personal skills and collaboration abilities. Must be able to partner with functional counterparts.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively manage and develop a team that consistently meets multiple deadlines.
What's on Offer
Commensurate with experience