You are here
Finance Director - Mining Operations
- Head of Finance position of a 250M+ USD business unit of a global group
- Must have mining industry experience as a finance business partner
About Our Client
Our client is a large global industrial group, with several operations within the United States.
Since this is a very important business unit for the holding organization, this professional must be a natural leader to motivate, manage, and control the finance and administration team in order to develop efficiency, while optimizing the company's profitability. He/she must ensure that all financial statements accurately present the state of affairs, the results of the operations, cash flows, and changes in equity.
Reporting to the CEO, this professional will have the following responsibilities:
- Formulation of annual business plans, cash flow projections, forecasts, and long term plans.
- Preparation of budgets including capital, manpower and overhead, and variance analysis.
- Formulation of Quarterly and Annual operating results.
- Monitoring payments to creditors and bank and financial institutions.
- Ensure compliance with all accounting and human resources policies and procedures.
- Implement and develop systems of internal controls.
- Ensure that the international accounting standards, applicable to the organization and its operating subsidiaries, have been followed in preparation of financial statements.
- Formulation and management of financial systems.
- Development and maintenance of financial model for use in five year and life of mine planning.
- Develop, implement, and maintain fixed asset control systems.
- Develop and implement a risk management system.
- Ensure Company is compliant with respect to all regulatory and policy matters including but not limited to finance, accounting and taxation.
- Oversee and manage budget/forecast preparation and status reporting
- Oversee and management / enhancement of financial information systems;
- Ensure integrity of accounts;
- Provide guidance to maximize efficiency's
- Propose/support and coordinate the various audit processes and ensure timely implementation of audit recommendations;
- Identify risk areas and recommend/take measures to implement corrective actions and maintain safeguards;
- Encourage effective leadership and personnel development, through education and training programs, according to established goals and budgeting forecasts.
- Develop and train staff members, including the identification and development of talents;
- Ensure a favorable organizational climate, through the adoption of motivational practices, communication and integration processes, fair treatment and good interpersonal relations, according to climate management action plans;
- Ensure a favorable institutional image for the company, through business and social responsibility actions;
- Perform other related duties, as required.
- Provide leadership necessary to ensure that employees and any contractors adhere to safety and environmental standards that meet or exceed industry standards and any applicable legislation.
- Ensure all department personnel are adequately inducted in their work area and are aware of all workplace rules and critical procedures applying at the workplace.
- Actively contribute to site safety policy and new initiatives and implement change as directed by the CEO.
- Develop and promote a pro-active safety culture by the identification, development, dissemination and review of safe practices and procedures and by ensuring the awareness of all departmental personnel.
- Actively promote, monitor and enforce compliance of personnel with safe work practices.
- Develop and maintain a departmental structure that adheres to the organization's policies, enables teamwork and personal development while focusing on the achievement of results.
- Ensure training and coaching is provided to all department employees.
- Ensure all members of the department have clearly defined accountabilities and roles and that individual development plans are in place to enable goals to be achieved.
- Ensure all members of the department receive feedback on their performance and participate in formal performance review processes.
- Develop a succession plan for direct report roles.
- Review and monitor all departments financial performance indicators and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Deliver reports to the CEO on agreed performance indicators and to agreed standard and schedule
The Successful Applicant
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance from an accredited university
- MBA or CPA
Essential Experience prior to this position
- Minimum of 10 years financial experience of which 3 years would have been spent in handling financial and corporate affairs of a list company in a mining related industry (any mineral)
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a chance agent
Specific Skills and Personal Attributes for this position
- Able to deliver results on quoted targets
- Able to streamline processes
- Provide support without removing responsibility (to build ownership)
- Seek to engage all people associate with the company
- Good computer skills
- Must be a confident communication with all levels, but mostly resilient and objective when dealing with senior management, legal entities and external stakeholders
- Strong reporting and presentation skills
- Must be physically fit to pass pre-employment medical examination
- Have a strong resilience to work in high pressure environment (subsidiary of a listed company)
What's on Offer
This is a very good opportunity to act as CFO of a mid-sized business unit of a large multinational. You will be responsible for all accounting, finance and procurement departments, being also a business partner of the administrative side of the business unit.
Although the role will take on extreme pressure from the headquarters and the business on all controlling and reporting activities, the work environment is very friendly and casual, being able to have a very good work life balance.