You are here
In-House Counsel - Westchester
Start-Up Technology-Based Insurance Company backed by major international firm
Seeking a Mid-to-Senior Level In-House Counsel
About Our Client
Our client is a start-up subsidiary backed by one of the world's largest international insurance and reinsurance conglomerates. It has all the feel of a true start up culture, backed by the financing and infrastructure of an established international brand.
- Providing legal advice on all aspects of a life insurer's business including marketing, sales, distribution, licensing/appointments, underwriting, new business, policy administration, and claims
- Providing legal advice related to administration of acquired in-force business
- Drafting and negotiation of customized agreements related to engagement of traditional and alternative distribution channels:
- distribution/producer agreements
- managing the legal lifecycle of producer relationships including amendments, extensions and terminations
- Drafting and negotiating related commercial agreements:
- engaging third party administrators, IT vendors and insurance technical experts
- Providing legal advice related to individual product development including creating insurance products leveraging new technologies and approaches to customer engagement across life and limited purpose health products
- Providing legal advice on eCommerce issues under ESIGN, UETA and related state laws including advice on use of data, privacy laws and information security requirements
- Coordinating advice to the business from other legal specialists including disputes, corporate governance, employment and intellectual property experts
- Provision of legal advice on structuring business relationships and adhering to regulatory requirements
- Objective, critical legal evaluation of proposed corporate activity (contracts, disputes and means of complying with legal, regulatory and governance requirements), generally and upon request
- Creating and adhering to standard documentation, processes and working methods in order to build and sustain a compliant, scalable business that can fulfil its growth ambitions
The Successful Applicant
Candidates must be qualified attorneys with experience of commercial law, with a strong life insurance regulatory and compliance background preferred. Experience of having worked for or with primary insurance carriers is highly desired; knowledge of (re)insurance and/or group insurance and related legal and compliance issues helpful but not required. Candidates may have transferable skills from having worked for or with other financial services businesses with strong commercial contract drafting skills and insurance regulatory knowledge.
Candidates will need to possess and demonstrate strong analytical capabilities, pragmatism, a business enabling mind-set, drive and resilience, all balanced with the highest standards of personal integrity and commitment to ensuring that internal processes, working practices and decisions take into account and appropriately manage relevant legal risks and impacts to the company, its customers and other stakeholders. Candidates will need to possess and demonstrate influencing skills and respect towards others necessary to work in collaborative, multi-functional teams. Candidates should have the ability to work independently in a fast paced start up environment.
The Legal Counsel is expected to have at least 5 years' work experience as an attorney.
What's on Offer
Competitive Salary plus full benefits. The office also includes several outstanding benefits including free coffee/espresso, full gym access, a beautiful cafeteria facility, and outstanding campus views.