You are here
Optical Fabrication Technician
Outstanding opportunity to grow within a stable organisation
Fine tune your skills within one of the worlds most high tech corporations
About Our Client
Accurately manufacture and supply all products in accordance with the established specification statements. Make improvements to existing products and processes, and guide the implementation of new products and processes. Ensure quality and standardization while contributing to improvements in effectively and efficiency.
- Ability to work safely on fragile, high value optics.
- Ability to generate and polish precision optics using a variety of CNC machines and/or conventional spindles, continuous grinders and polishers.
- Perform blocking and unblocking of parts.
- Responsible for setting up and operating contacting tools and fixtures.
- Visual surface inspection of all optical components to ISO standards.
- Protect and wash components.
- Measures work-piece for conformance to specifications.
- Notifies supervisor of discrepancies.
- Follows written and verbal English work instructions that describe the process and the required measurements.
- Possesses strong blueprint interpretation skills.
- Familiarity with using the following measurement tools: micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, height gages, and pH meters.
- Verify settings by regularly measuring parts before and after changes are made.
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs to supervisors and co-workers on all shifts.
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Candidate will be required to wear PPE where appropriate and embrace the 8S requirements.
The Successful Applicant
Job Experience & Education:
- Proven knowledge (3-5 Years) of optical fabrication experience.
- High School or trade school graduate or G.E.D
- Intermediate mathematical skills including use of basic math, geometry and trigonometry
Intermediate computer skills and familiarity with Windows 7, MS Office & SAP
Personal Skills & Competencies:
- Strong analytical skills - capable of translating requirements into executable schedule
- Ability to cross-train and support cross functional groups.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate one on one and in small groups to operators, management and engineers
What's on Offer
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, solvents grinding and polishing slurry
- May also be exposed to laser energy, magnetic fields and open flames
- Typically handles parts that could weigh up to 50 pounds
- Will be required to stand, sit, kneel and bend to load and unload the surfaces of the machine tools
- Production areas are maintained at 70 to 76 degrees and 40 to 50% relative humidity
- The noise level in the manufacturing areas is usually moderate
- Occasional travel may be required