You are here
Vice President of Finance (CFO)
Seeking a dynamic VP of Finance for a $25M Non-Profit Organization
Experience with City, State, and Federal grants required
About Our Client
Our client, a $90M service oriented non-profit organization has a three-part mission of advocacy, education and service, seeks an experienced executive to provide leadership to the Finance Department and drive financial strategy.
The VP of Finance will report to and work closely with the Executive Director. In addition, s/he will partner with the senior leadership and the board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. The successful candidate will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal, state and local) contracts and grants. S/he must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while managing a finance staff of eight.
- Partner with the Executive Team on all operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with Organization's strategic plan.
- Engage the board finance committee around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model and operational delivery.
Financial and Operational Management
- Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally.
- Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds.
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and Organization's board of directors; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
- Serve as a liaison with government funders.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Coordinate all audit activities.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors and work with the Committee on financial plans and projections.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and city, state and federal law and regulations regarding nonprofit operations.
The Successful Applicant
The VP of Finance will be a seasoned and mature leader with at least 12-15 years of broad finance experience, ideally beginning in audit, followed by experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources including government, federal, state, and city contracts.
The VP of Finance will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a BS; a CPA and/or MBA
- Mature and proactive, with experience working as a business partner to the chief executive officer.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, and reporting.
- Experience working with government funders and familiarity with compliance issues.
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial policies and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to lifelong learning.
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Strong commitment to developing team members.
- Knowledge of health care field and transition to managed care preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to the social sector with a passion for the organization's mission is essential.
What's on Offer
Salary + excellent comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, supplemental income insurance, pre-tax transit/parking, pre-tax FSA for medical and dependent care, and 401k available.