You are here
VP Legal Counsel - Corporate Governance
Growing legal team within world's specialty insurance markets space
Seeking lawyer 4-5 years of experience in corporate governance practice
About Our Client
The client dynamically combine active underwriting in the world's specialty insurance markets with consolidation of legacy risk. At the heart of both is our ability to thoroughly understand risks and liabilities to create ideal solutions for customers. This analytical approach benefits clients ranging from risk carriers seeking optimal capital deployment to insurance buyers wanting crafted cover that meets their individual risk profile.
- Prepare Board of Directors materials, including meeting planning and drafting research memoranda.
- Manage a global portfolio of over 100 subsidiaries, including oversight of worldwide corporate secretarial matters, organizational chart, and new entity formation and dissolution processes.
- Review and advise with respect to corporate governance matters, including compliance with Nasdaq listing rules, other applicable regulations, delegated authority policies and tax operating guidelines.
- Review new regulations, proposed rules, proxy advisory firm policies, and trends.
- Work on other complex legal projects with significant financial and business impact, including governance on strategic transactions and data room management.
- Serve as member of the Office of the Corporate Secretary, which interfaces with shareholders and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in planning and execution of annual shareholders meeting and shareholder engagement programs.
- Provide relevant legal support to other Group functions from time to time on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinate M&A and finance closings and execution of delegated authorities, including oversight of signing, closing checklist, and certain business integration and on-boarding matters.
- In addition to the above key responsibilities, you may be required to undertake other duties from time to time as the Company may reasonably require.
The Successful Applicant
- Experience with board meetings, minutes, and agendas for a publicly traded company.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience in corporate governance practice, including at a major law firm and/or in an in-house role at a company publicly traded on a major US stock exchange.
- Law degree (J.D.) from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association, and currently a member in good standing of the bar of a US State.
- Experience managing complex organizational structures.
- Experience in due diligence matters, particularly in the context of a securities transaction.
- Experience in drafting consents, board resolutions, policies, and contracts.
- Significant knowledge of corporate law, as well as SEC and stock exchange listing requirements related to corporate governance.
- Up-to-date knowledge of best governance practices.
- Familiarity with proxy advisory firm policies.
- Reasonable familiarity with the insurance industry, regulatory environment, and associated terminology and metrics.
- Excellent writing skills, geared toward drafting policy language and Board of Directors materials.
- Excellent research skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Client-service skills, including the ability to interface appropriately with senior management, verbally and in writing.
- Pride in the work and reputation of the Office of the Corporate Secretary.
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced environment with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
What's on Offer
Competitive salary plus generous benefits package.