Director of Operations - Civil Engineering
Newly created Director position
Manage Civil Engineering project portfolio
About Our Client
The Director of Operations - Civil Engineering is a newly created position looking after the North Carolina region for one of the largest Civil Engineering companies on the East Coast. The successful applicant will predominantly look after the civil highways portfolio in addition to other large civil projects. The position reports to the national Vice President of Operations and will manage a large team - if you are experienced with this please submit your resume for consideration and contact Chris Knight directly on 617-824-2649.
The Director of Operations - Civil Engineering will be in charge of the following responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains relationships with customers and industry partners.
- Participating in industry related organizations
- Supports safety culture by adhering to and enforcing safety policies, and partners with Corporate Safety to research, develop, and implement specific safety initiatives.
- Reviews and negotiates contracts with customers and industry partners.
- Ensures that prior to execution, all contracts, general agreements, purchase orders, and subcontracts align with Company goals and business objectives.
- Reviews and approves an appropriate construction budget for each project.
- Ensures that construction schedules are developed, base-lined, monitored and updated.
- Ensures that project operational plans are developed, implemented, and monitored resulting in financial profits. Ensures adequate staffing of projects is achieved.
- Ensures staff is trained in and following Company policy and procedures, and staff is equipped with the proper tools and training to perform their duties, take responsibility, and be accountable for the achievement of agreed upon goals and for the success of the entire Company.
- Conducts monthly project reviews with regional teams
- Assesses and addresses the financial and operational risks of projects being performed.
- Monitors project cash flow, ensuring projects maintain positive cash positions at all times.
- Reports monthly the financial position of projects to President and Company Controller.
- Reviews and performs intermittent audits of project documentation to ensure consistency with Company policy.
- Post Mortems are performed and provided to Estimating in a meaningful, consistent format.
- Conducts self in an ethical manner, accepting full responsibility for decisions, actions, and commitments made.
- Evaluates developmental needs of project management staff and field operations
- Participates in annual performance evaluations
- Supports training and development efforts, encourages continued learning, and provides recognition to others when their assignments are carried out well and provides constructive feedback when deficiencies are present.
- Ensures the development and implementation of strategies which recognize and take advantage of market opportunities that best fit current operational capabilities while utilizing existing assets.
- Participates in the estimating process to ensure Operations has provided adequate feedback to enable Estimating to produce sound estimates.
- Participates in bid preparation by reviewing cost development
The Successful Applicant
The successful applicant should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of prior experience in the management of construction companies in positions of increasing responsibility required
- Experience on large heavy civil projects involving complex roadway and structure transportation improvement projects
- Must have proven experience with large projects that have had a track record of being profitable.
- Displays visionary, strategic thinking
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
What's on Offer
The successful applicant will enjoy the following:
- Great career progression and opportunity to manage a business unit in a newly created role
- Base salary
- Manager level bonus incentive
- Health insurance and additional benefits
- Vehicle and travel allowances
- Additional benefits
If you are interested, please submit your resume and contact Chris Knight directly on 617-824-2649.