A Northern New Jersey law firm has an opening for an experienced IP Secretary.
This position supports up to three or more attorneys in a secretarial capacity.
About Our Client
Confidential is an international law firm founded in the US in the late 1960s. It has close to 40 offices in the United States, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, and close to 2000 attorneys worldwide. Their largest office is in New York City.
- Maintain legal files (both paper & electronic), organize and file documents in designated order, as well as prepare, keyboard, enter, proofread and process legal and administrative correspondence.
- Process time entry, open new matters, draft engagement letters and audit responses, make travel arrangements, process reimbursement expenses, maintain calendar, collate information, write reports, prepare agendas, review and preparation of billing invoices, and other administrative duties, as needed by the department.
- Manage phone lines for supported attorneys, fielding calls and conveying messages as necessary. Communicate with clients, opposing counsel, courts, and liaisons.
- Manage document deliveries and track final executed documentation.
- Perform receptionist tasks as backup to regular receptionist. Assist with overflow work and other projects as assigned.
- Performs overflow typing, filing, or photocopying as time permits and as requested by other attorneys.
- Prepare and transmit standardized correspondence relating to patent/trademark prosecution to clients and attorneys including reporting letters, invoices, search reports and status reports.
- Maintain database of standardized form letters and assist with client invoices
- Assist in quality assurance review of patent/trademark filings and correspondence by noting any errors observed during the normal course of records maintenance duties
- Assist in checking and updating the status of patent/trademark cases with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and foreign patent/trademark offices when appropriate (including proficiency in retrieving patent documents from PAIR.)
The Successful Applicant
- Requires 3 or more years of experience as a legal secretary, working in a business law practice with exposure to Intellectual Property.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and work experience.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, as well as document management (PAIR, EPAS, Anaqua) and other office technologies.
- Strong ability to maintain high standards, use good judgment and seek out ways to contribute and anticipate needs.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and the ability to collaborate well in a team.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk from work station, to desk or to go to various offices to retrieve assignments. This position may also be sedentary and require the employee to sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires manual dexterity to dial a telephone, enter data into a computer, handle objects and operate tools.
- Some filing is required and this would entail the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
What's on Offer
- Competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive benefits