You are here
Competency-Based Questions for Every Finance Interview
Competency-based questions are meant to showcase a candidate’s prowess within their profession. Their answers show interviewers where their skills are strongest, how they problem-solve, and what they would do in a given situation. These questions often go farther than the typical, “What are your strengths and weaknesses?”
These questions are particularly important in interviews with financial services candidates. Their profession is highly skills-based and detail-oriented. Therefore, competency-based interview questions are extremely useful in determining a candidate’s fitness.
Here is a list of competency-based interview questions that are of particular use when finding top financial services talent:
- How do you manage high stress situations? Give me a recent example.
- Take me though an analysis problem you had recently. How did you approach it, and what was the outcome?
- How do you manage online finance operations?
- Describe your strategy for preparing a report?
- How has your analysis lead to improved decision making in the past, for you and for your coworkers/employers?
- What is the current tax rate?
- How has your bank of financial knowledge gown over the past year?
- What is working capital?
- What are deferred taxes?
- Explain private equity.
- Which method do you use to calculate company assets invested in external projects?
- Under which conditions would a company prefer debt over equity finance?
- What financial reporting software do you have experience with?
- Have you ever had to present financial reports to management?
- Have you ever arranged payment agreements?
- What would you do if a client could not pay their bill?
- How would you set a credit limit? Why?
If you are looking for quality financial services talent to join your team, please submit a job description here.